FOR SALE

PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.

Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Market Bosworth


I must deter any one from mooring near Bridge 19 unless that is they are a very heavy sleeper, why? well because it is very near to an industrial site and there is obviously a warehouse that works all night with a machine that runs constantly, it sounds like a boat engine but I can assure you it isn't. Mind you I had just turned the light out around 11pm when a boat passed us heading up the canal why travel in the dark I ask myself. We took bets on how far we could travel before we got wet. Its strange when you return to a canal, you pick out the landmarks from your previous journey and notice things that passed you by.




Stoke Golding Church.











As I have mentioned last time on this canal Paul caught a very large carp and in my hand written diary I had noted which bridge we were near, and as we approached the spot I said to him "this is where you caught that fish" no it isn't was the reply and we argued for a good mile and he still insists that the fish was caught somewhere else even though I have written evidence but then Paul would say black was white if it meant he was right and I was wrong.
We couldn't get on the sanitary point at Sutton Wharf so pootled along and then true to form it started to rain just a shower but a heavy one. Could some one explain to me why it is that when you get to a tight bend, narrow spot or a bridge you meet someone coming the other way but when you have a nice straight wide bit you never see another soul?
As we came under the bridge at Market Bosworth the water point was free so we pulled over to fill up and there was also one space left on the 48 hour mooring so we abandoned the top up pulled the boat up and are now settled for the night. Mind you two boats have left so there is a large space now in front of us.
We decided to walk into the village up hill on the way but not too strenuous a walk. This is a quaint little place and we popped into the Kings Head for a spot of lunch to save me cooking tonight.








On the way back rescued this little fella who had decided to take a breather on the road.





Looked over the bridge onto the steam railway line, no trains today they only run weekends and Wednesdays during July and August, you can just imagine in the "good old days" standing on the bridge as the steam train thundered below and you got covered with smuts from the engine. Saying that I can remember when I was a little girl travelling on a steam train to Margate for my holidays at my nans boarding house. No car for us in those days. But it was so exciting, my mum always had to sit with her back to the engine, and the smell of the steam and the train, it was magic.


Back to reality, got on board and it went decidedly black, heavy shower, and now we have brilliant sunshine no one could say our weather is boring.

2 comments:

MortimerBones said...

Maffi needs another splicing lesson! When are you coming down here!

nb piston broke said...

Wont be too long,will keep you posted. Hope the old fella is okay.