FOR SALE

PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.

Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Knackered!!!!

It is sods law isn't it, while moored by bridge 170 we had a fantastic signal on the laptop. Yesterday we made our way out in to the country moored by bridge 193 and had absolutely naff all. Hence no blog yesterday. Still our journey was fine we even passed Bones on her way to Cropredy haven't seen her since 2008. As you can see we cruise the South Oxford quite regulary.

This morning with our evening mooring planned we set off ,first problem was I couldn't get bridge 193 open, didn't matter how much I swung on it I could not lift the dam thing so now we had a problem, if Paul was to lift the bridge for me that would mean he would be on the wrong side of the canal to get the boat through, just how do single handers manage. Any way Paul got the boat on to the off side I held the boat, in the wind I hasten to add while Paul opened the bridge, next problem was how to keep bridge open as there was a length of chain and no means to anchor it, well Paul just tied the chain up said "get here quick and hold on to this chain" which I did then Paul had to get the boat under the bridge while I used all my strength to hang on to the chain. I then walked the tow path with Saffie to Somerton Deep lock. Next problem was I couldn't shut the lock gate once the boat was through, so again Paul had to come to my rescue what would I do with out him (answers on a post card please). The journey after this was fine we even had time to have a chat with Maffi at Heyford Wharf, have arranged to meet up tomorrow for a meal. Silly Maffi thought we would get to Thrupp this afternoon just how long does he think we travel for in a day.




Passed this lovely garden full of daffs what a delight.







When we got to Dashwood lock I leapt from the boat and ended up face down in the mud, once again I had tripped on the fender rope pleased to say that Paul has now moved it forward so hopefully I wont do it again.
By now we were traveling behind Dusty when he over took us I do not know as we passed him at Cropredy. Needless to say the designated mooring planned for the night came and went. You can tell I was a novice at marking mooring spots 2 years ago as I seem to have put a cross on any straight bit of tow path irrespective of whether it was a decent mooring or not. I have amended this now as I am a bit more up to speed with the idea of a decent mooring. Just before pigeon lock Dusty pulled alongside the cream teas boat so we were able to pass. We had to tie up as there was obviously something round the prop. I sorted the lock out while Paul tackled the weed hatch and voila, weed and a very long zip emerged for the watery depths, surprising how so little can slow you up so much. Well we are now moored below the lock I am absolutely knackered what with struggling with lift bridges and deep lock gates plus stacking it in the mud all I fancy doing is putting on my PJ's and sitting in front of the tele, neither of these will happen as its my turn again to walk the dogs and the TV reception is CRAP.

1 comment:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

The garden looked like that last year as well.
Please give our regards to Maffi and Oakfield when you see them