It felt really strange to actually heading for somewhere not just killing time, after all it has been 7 months since we went in the yard so are a bit tired of the Braunston to Rugby stretch of the canal.
As we left Braunston heading down the South Oxford it was a bit on the murky side, was most impressed with the offside moorings by the winding hole they each have a cultivated garden and most of them have a few chickens.
There has been a lot of tree felling on the offside on this stretch and it certainly makes a difference, mind you it is a while since we have been down here so we were racking our brains as to what land mark was round the next corner. Don't know whether this bridge is in the process of being renovated or what but the render has seen better days.
When I first saw this in the distance I thought it was a speed camera.
Of course its an owl box, isn’t it?
Had a bum clenching moment when we were at bridge 107. There was us under the bridge and a boat appeared from the other way, I hold my hands up to the fact that I panicked a bit saying to Paul “ we are going to crash” he looked at me and his face said it all “ stupid bitch” he just throttled back a bit and we passed by the boat with feet to spare. I tell you it is like being a new comer on the canal after all this time. Give me a few days and I will be back to my old self. We have the Napton locks to negotiate tomorrow and the weather forecast is rain so hopefully there wont be too many boats about to see me making a complete pigs ear of everything.
I am pleased to report that the engine ran like a dream, so Pauls stress levels have reduced dramatically.
This afternoon after a quick nap Paul is going to do a nut and bolt check on the engine as it had done just over 250 hours. We were hoping that the weather was going to be a bit better as we planned to give the boat it’s first waxing (yes Del I have bought the Autoglym wax) but we will save that for another day perhaps at the weekend when we are moored up somewhere nice and quiet.

1 comment:
It nearly always rains when we go up the Napton flight. Watch out for the buffalo and Harnser moored by the engine arm.
Brian
Post a Comment