Today in the freezing cold and the rain we left Hillmorton, stopped for water and just as the tank filled up I could see a boat in the lock coming down. Lo and behold it was nb Oakfield so quick hello and we arranged to meet up for a Christmas drink. They went onto the water point and Paul came into the vacated lock. Boy what a dismal day once through the locks and I was back on board kettle was put on washing machine was emptied of its load then it was up the back with cups of coffee. Dogs weren't too happy as they had to be shut down below, didn't want them getting wet as there is nothing worse than the smell of damp dog. Especially on our new rugs.
As there wasn't too much traffic about I was very brave and took the helm for a bit. Now I prefer to hold the helm in my left hand even though I am right handed but Paul said " as you are right handed stand on the left of the helm and use you right hand" well this is okay for him as he is 6ft 2 and can see over all the junk that is on the roof. I am 5ft 2 and the clearest view for me is with the helm in my left hand and I don't have to struggle to look over the TV ariel. Anyway I didn't do too bad negotiated a couple of bridges but when we got to Barby straight there were boats coming towards us and what with all the moored boats here as well I thought it best to hand the helm back to the expert, not only that Paul was getting a bit twitchy, he never could hack being in a car when I drove (only time he sat in the passenger seat was when he had had too much to drink when we lived in Spain and then I had to drive needless to say he fell asleep.) so he virtually snatched the helm from me so he could be in control.
Now I don't know where all the boats came from today but there were loads of them we past 4 along the Barby stretch alone. Had planned to get nearly to Braunston but by the time we got to the Young Offenders I was cold, and there was plenty of room so we pulled in front of The Old Bovine. After walking the dogs, getting the canopy up it was time for a nice hot shower.
Gypsy Rover has gone past on her way to Braunston to get the central heating sorted so hopefully we will be able to have a proper chat with them there as we plan to get to Braunston Wednesday.
FOR SALE
PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.
Monday, 14 December 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Good for you for having a go on the helm - don't worry about being 5' 2" - I'm only 5'3" and you do get used to driving a boat without being see where you're going :-)
Sue, Indigo Dream
I know the feeling well, Bottle was a very fidgety passenger when I drove him anywhere.
As Paul and Bottle share the same birthday I would say that they probably have quite a few thing in common.
We definitely won't miss you next time at Braunston!
Looking forward to meeting up.
nb Oakfield
Post a Comment