FOR SALE

PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.

Sunday, 9 August 2009

Nice weekend.


Nice evening here at Hillmorton yesterday.


Didn't realise it had been so many days since I last wrote my Blog. Thing is when you stay put in one place for a while you cant just keep on about "the weather, the amount of boats going past" etc so I have given you a break from my ramblings.

Since we have been here Paul has been chilling out spending his time fishing,(I have cleaned cupboards and the brass!!!!!) he has had a fair amount of success in fact on Friday evening while I was busy catching up on the TV programmes I had recorded Paul caught a huge eel. Now he had shouted for me to help him but I was so engrossed in my TV that I didn't hear him, luckily there was a couple walking the tow path and the chap helped Paul reel the eel (very poetic) in, it took them about 20 minutes. I was suddenly aware of Paul chatting away, looked out of the window just as he landed the eel so I popped up the back just to show a bit of interest and was amazed, a) at the size of the thing and b) that he actually caught anything at all. After that he caught a few more fish one being a nice carp which kept him busy and allowed me to watch everything I wanted to, so we were both happy.
Now, this Skype thing, it hasn't been working too well. We got in touch with our friends in Hungary, they said we sounded as if we had our heads in a bucket and were breaking up also the picture was frozen. We weren't having much better luck receiving them. Next, we had talked Paul's brother in Australia to set himself up on Skype so it was his turn to hear from us. Yet again we were having problems although we certainly had a few laughs as there was a time delay on the sound so Eric was talking over Paul all the time also Eric had had a few glasses of red wine with it being late evening in Oz. Final try was my cousin in Spain and yes you've guessed it tiddly squat. With Paul not being the most patient of men I had to restrain him from throwing the whole lot in the drink. I had reinstalled the software for the camera, we have checked as many of the settings as we can and all we can come up with is it is the signal. Now as our PC is a few years old our Vodafone connection isn't a dongle as such it is a slot in sim card, most of the time we can connect to the Internet okay except in the few places like Braunston where the signal is crap. Now is it this sim card that's the problem as the signal each time we have logged on to Skype has been 3 bars, or is it because this isn't broadband as such. Our friends in Hungary have no problem getting in touch with family in Manchester but obviously they are both using broadband via a landline.
So on our next trip to Rugby I am going to pop into the Vodafone shop and ask the question as to what we can do, if anything. They are getting 30 quid of our money every month so it would be nice to get a reasonable service. Any comments let me know.
This morning we sat on the tow path Paul fishing yet again and me well I did nothing just sat watching the boats go by. Had plenty of people stop to ask the usual things and there was one guy who while he was chatting, his dog ate Paul's bait. (a slice of bread and some luncheon meat) which didn't go down too well (with Paul that is the dog was well happy). After about 3 hours of sitting in the sun and catching nothing Paul has given up and turned to the tele for a bit of light relief. No doubt the rod will be dangling again later on in the evening when things have quietened down.

3 comments:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

Try Skyp with the web cams turned off at both ends to cut down on the band width requirment, so you use all available band width to talk.

Allan R said...

Based on my (limited) experience, Skype needs a reasonable bandwidth to work satisfactorily. Mobile broadband tends to be restricted whatever your provider may claim. In my case (Three) it varies throughout the day (This is probably a function of the useage in the area; being slower late afternoon and early evening.) and the location itself (ie the signal strength).
In my view Skype is OK if you accept the limitations but if you are expecting "video conferencing" type performance then forget it.

Ann/Kev said...

We use a dongle with an extention lead and we have signed up with 3 for £15/month. We very rarely have a problem using Skype and we call our son's mobile in Australia (excellent reception) and daughter in Spain, though admittedly we dont get too good reception in Spain and we dont use the webcam for either.
Kev & Ann (n.b. 4Evermoore)