
Late yesterday afternoon the sky became decidedly black and I said to Paul I think it's going to rain. As he was watching some film or another he didn't pay me much attention, not that's anything new. Well within 5 minutes the heavens opened and it really lashed it down. The wind had got up as well. "I think its raining " said Paul. Rain, it was hailing, the canal looked as if it was alive such was the ferocity of the hail stones hitting the water. We were being buffeted against the cill and every time the boat hit the dogs jumped up. A couple of boats went past and the helmsman looked very miserable.

Today started better at least the solar panel had a bit of sun on it. As the boat moored in front of us is up tight to the bank I took the broom off the roof and went to see if we could get closer a few feet further on. People walking past gave me some very strange looks as there I was dipping my broom handle into the water. I found that the cill was only a couple of inches wide at this spot whereas where we had been overnight it was at least a foot wide hence the banging. So we just pulled the pins, left the canopy and ariel up and moved. We are now settled again and at least we don't hit the side with such force when the inconsiderate boaters speed past. So the dogs rest easy. After lunch dogs were worrying to go out so on with fleece and wellies and off I go. Paul was watching MOTOGP at this time so no danger of him taking the dogs out. I was couple of hundred yards from the boat when the heavens opened dogs looked at me as if to say "don't you dare take us back yet" so on we went. By the time I got to the next bridge up I couldn't see a thing through my glasses and I was soaked (fleeces tend not to be waterproof) so back we came, Saffie even managed to break into a run as I think she decided it would be better on board. As there is nothing worse than the smell of damp dog I left them both on the back to dry off after giving them both a good rub down. That has been the pattern of the weather all day heavy downpours then sunshine. Hope the forecasters are right and we are in for a hot summer could do with some sunshine. Must admit it is nice to be in the position where you can stay put if you want too, wouldn't like to be in the position of having to rush to places because you have a time scale.

1 comment:
Much the same sort of weather here in Oundle, although a few sunny spells. Have added your blog to my blogroll.
Post a Comment