
It is so lovely to wake to the sound of the birds singing. While we lived in Spain that was something we were lacking, the birds there knew it was best to keep their heads down and not twitter too much or else they were shot at or caught in nets irrespective of size. Our Spanish neighbours used to put a net across their land to catch sparrows, these then went in the pot feathers and all. So you can appreciate why we love to hear birdsong once again.
As usual I have deviated from the task in hand relating the tale of our journey here. For all our worries I have to say the journey was quite pleasant no mishaps I'm pleased to say. Went through the Brandwood tunnel too short to even put the light on met two boats coming the other way as we left the tunnel both going at a fair rate of knots. It was extremely windy so I suppose we have to forgive them their speed. When we approached the junction we had to negotiate this guillotine lock, (left open thank goodness) after a couple of attempts at actually getting in the opening which was extremely narrow we got through, didn't loose any fenders just a couple of coats of paint. Then facing us was the junction house which is a handsome building,
Nothing coming so swung right onto the Worcs and Birmingham. Plenty of cyclists and joggers on this part of the towpath. Stopped at Selly Oak quick visit to Sainsburys which is nice and close to the canal although you have to cross a busy road. Of course I thought I would be clever and just take my card with me to pay for the shopping instead of lugging my over full handbag. When I got to the shop I needed a £1 for the trolley, oh bugger that will teach me to be clever. So I had to buy tobacco for Paul and get cash back to enable me to put a £1 in the dam trolley. Once back on the boat we set off on the next bit of the journey. Coming towards us was a couple of young ladies jogging one of whom was very well endowed if you get my drift. Paul's comment was "its a wonder she hasn't taken her eye out" you can see he pays a lot of attention to the comings and goings of the tow path while waiting for me to return from shopping. Sad or what.

Just before The Mailbox we stopped for water and cassette emptying, no rubbish here which was a bit of a pain as we had loads. Swung round to the left, was a bit tight as the wind was on the nose of the boat, behind us a 35footer who had no problem getting round the corner, he stayed behind us until we both pulled in at the NIA. So here we are, dogs are a bit put out as there is no grass, but that's tough they will have to lump it for a couple of nights. We have had a wander and a pint. There are lots of boats here now, we went to the BW office and got some local maps which are always handy to keep. Time to open the wine I think, I feel shattered all this walking and fresh air just isn't good for me.


No comments:
Post a Comment