I keep getting requests from Woozie nb Oakfield to put the recipe for "boat cake" on this blog. I had thought of saying that it is an old family recipe but this isn't true. So for those of you who would like to give this easy cake a try here it is.
1lb fruit 1/2lb marg 1 cup sugar 1 cup water 3/4 tspn bicarb 1 tspn mixed spice. Put these ingredients into a saucepan and simmer for 15 mins stirring often then cool for 25 mins. To this cooled mixture add 2 eggs and 2 cups of SR flour. Bake at Gas 2-3 for 1-2 hours. This time isn't set in stone so check the cake after an hour especially if you use two loaf tins.
Now I reduce the quantity of fruit and add some nuts so try what ever combination you like. I put the mixture into 2, 1lb loaf tins but again you can use any tin you like, also on the odd occasion I mix some alcohol (rum or whisky) with the water. This is lovely warm straight from the oven and Paul likes it with custard as a pudding. It keeps for ages in an airtight tin ENJOY.
Had a nice day out away from the men yesterday. Had never been to Northampton before so it was nice to see yet another town. Neither of us spent any money which must be a first but I did get a Jamie Oliver recipe book from Waterstones thanks for the book token kids. Now this doesn't mean I am going to be serving up a different dish every day but I will endeavor to try something new at least once a week. (that's what I say now).
The boys had a successful day, the new worktops were installed in Tranquility with Paul's new tools coming into their own, as usual cutting stuff on the towpath isn't the best idea but when needs must you have to do it. Paul now has a piece of wood that he is going to use as temporary shelving to replace the mechanism of my "Magic Corner". We have found that this magic corner doesn't really use all the available space so today it is my turn to have upheaval in my kitchen. The proper shelving will be installed when the boat in being stretched. There should be some wood that Paul can utilise. well I hope so, as I don't fancy having a manky bit of wood for a shelf for ever.
FOR SALE
PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.
Friday, 26 February 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
"It keeps for ages"
No it doesn't, well ours doesn't especially when visitors have a taste.
Post a Comment