View from the kitchen window.Where did the weekend go? To say we (well Paul) have been busy is an understatement. Friday saw us dismantling the cratch ready for its overhaul. Beading was removed (much swearing) new was cut to size and a coat of red oxide applied. More swearing when it was discovered that the glass had been held in place by "No Nails" so couldn't be removed, and yet more swearing when paint work was rubbed down and Paul found no undercoat had been used when cratch was first painted. All I can say is it was a good job we didn't have any neighbours as not only was the sky blue but the air was blue too. Saturday I scrubbed the cover and boy did it need a good scrubbing, Paul was on the back painting away happy as Larry, cratch was then put on the tow path to dry off in the lovely sunshine and cool breeze. Break for qualifying of GP then out for another coat of paint. While Paul was doing all this I did a bit of dusting removing my books all three shelves of them to discover so much fluff and dog hair I was very ashamed. Shelves were dusted books returned must do that job more often. All of a sudden there was a lot more swearing when Paul discovered the newly painted cratch fronts had blown over in the wind and now had bits stuck to them, I shut myself in the bathroom couldn't let him see me laughing could I. After his temper had cooled Paul sanded it all down and then had a stiff drink and refused to do any more until the next morning.
Sunday was another lovely day, Paul up at 6.30 to watch MOTOGP good old Valentino, and he had a different plan, to paint one side leave it to dry then turn it over and the process repeated, this was going okay until the gardeners came along with two mowers and a strimmer blowing grass and bits everywhere. Good job we heard them in the distance and were able to get the fronts onto the back of the boat. Everything back on the tow path and bugger me if one of the mowers did a return journey so there we were again rushing to put everything on the boat. We waited five minutes to make sure it was safe and back on the tow path it all went. Of course there was a break at midday to watch the GP good old Jenson yet again.

While the cratch was off it seemed a good idea to rub down and re-paint the metal work where the cratch sits (don't ask me what the correct name is I'm a woman). Armed with a few sheets of sand paper and expecting an easy job Paul found that this part of the boat had been painted with a roller the primer was no thicker than a fag paper and no undercoat at all, so after a couple of minutes of rubbing down, the bare metal was exposed and nice and shiny it was too. Out with the red oxide 2 coats then the undercoat 2 coats and finally the top coat 2 coats, why is it that the original job that should have been so simple ended up being a long drawn out saga, lucky the weather was in our favour.

Just like a few other places, at this mooring I can only get internet reception while sitting in the cratch, now I don't have a problem with this but while the cover was off and it is brilliant sunshine I was having a bit of a problem seeing the screen hence me not writing this for a few days. Sunday evening frame was put back together again, cover was left off to allow paint to really harden off
This morning the promised rain arrived so our plan to move was hit on the head when there is no need to get wet why bother, cover was put on so now it is nice and dry and I can get my blog up to date. As I write this at 3pm the sun has just burst through too late for us though, Paul is watching a cowboy first one in ages. Maybe tomorrow we will set off, I need to get to a shop milk is getting dangerously low (thank heavens for UHT) and only a crust in the bread bin.
Contented Souls went past one of many who braved the weather. Perhaps we can catch up some other time Jill and Graham. Obviously you are a lot hardier than us.

No comments:
Post a Comment