FOR SALE

PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.

Sunday, 21 December 2008

Help please

Is there anyone out there who can give us a bit of advice on Solar panels? We would like to get one or two but not sure which route to go up rigid or stick ons. So you intrepid boaters can you point us in the right direction as Paul likes to have all the gen before he buys anything.

2 comments:

Dacre's Stable said...

I have two Solara panels on my boat, charging via a Struder unit with integral solar controller ( you don't need this - just a cheap charge-controller).
They are glued flush to the curved roof with the Sikaflex provided and can be walked on. The optional edge trim is neat and worth a few pounds extra.
I bought mine from Barden Batteries, who are very helpful. I have had one since the boat was new ( 5 years)and added the second two years ago. They certainly help cut down charging time, but even with two big panels there is barely enough power to run the Shoreline fridge in summer. However, combined with l.e.d. lighting and a low-power consumption tv, I only need to run the engine each day long enough to make toast in the morning and maybe 10-15 minutes in the evening.
I can see no sign of deterioration on the 5 year old panel, so they seem well made. I have no experience of any other p.v. panel so do not know whether I bought the best.
Howard Dickenson
n.b."Moondaisy"
PS the cable inlet grommets from Barden are a very good watertight deck fitting ( they also glue on with Sikaflex).
Good luck.

nb piston broke said...

Thanks for the info Howard it has been a great help just need to find a supplier now. We will be heading back up to Braunston and beyond in the Spring so if we havent got anything by then I'm sure we will find the right panels for us.
Lynne and Paul