FOR SALE

PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.

Friday, 28 October 2011

What a difference a day makes….

Yesterday was a miserable day, dull, overcast and at times torrential rain. Today we woke to fog but everything was very still and now, we have brilliant sunshine not at all like the end of October.

bridge 87 oct 11 010

Looking back towards the bridge first thing.

bridge 87 oct 11 011

Sun coming up.

Yesterday in all the bad weather we really felt for the hire boaters heading back. Except for one hire boat that is. I was peeling spuds at the sink Paul was on the tow path at the front of the boat, when out of the corner of my eye I could see a Calcutt boat all askew across the canal and heading for us at a rate of knots. So there I was yelling at Paul through the double glazing “behind you” he was spinning round like a Tasmanian Devil saying “what” not even looking towards the back of the boat, then there was the massive crash and he knew then what I was on about. I ran to the back of the boat glancing through the bedroom window as I sped by, and the women on the back were laughing I kid you not, laughing. I could hear Paul saying “what are you playing at?” and a voice said “ I know I shouldn't have let her steer”. At this point a boat came by from the direction of Braunston asking if we had been hit then saying “its no wonder look at the age of the steerer , make sure you ring the hire company” We now looked at the person on the helm and it was a young girl of about 11. One of the adults had taken over and was reversing off of our button and the armco with Paul shouting directions among other things. After he had checked for damage of which I am glad to say there wasn't any Paul noticed that the mooring chain had been snapped off at the ring and this is how we found it on the tow path.

bridge 87 oct 11 012

Not only snapped at the weld but completely bent.

We did ring the hire company and I must admit it is only the second time we have done this. The chap on the end of the phone after we had told the tale did ask if we wanted to take things any further and Paul just said “take their deposit off of them”. Anyway the hire company were going to ring them to give them a ticking off. I think they should stipulate that no one under the age of 18 should be in charge of the helm. Paul very calmly then said to me “ I am not having a go (oh no why are we having this conversation then?) but if there is a problem in future please say at the back of the boat and not behind you”. okay I am duly chastised.

Another job has been crossed off the list and while Paul was doing it I surpassed myself and made some soup which we had for lunch with enough left over to feed us for about another 3 days………

1 comment:

Lisa said...

It beggars belief that adults would give the helm to a child, and not to have even had a hand on the tiller too, I am staggered. All the time and work you have lavished on your boat to have it smashed into, you have my sympathy and I am glad damage was minimal this time.
Will we get some pictures when all the jobs are complete? How is the new lamp? Still gleaming?
Lisa