FOR SALE

PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.

Saturday, 8 October 2011

Fire’s lit.

Yesterday morning Paul says to me “let’s go into Rugby this morning” strange I thought since when has Paul wanted to go shopping. Then it dawned me, it was tobacco Paul wanted not a trip round the shops. About 3 months ago he gave up the fags no more roll ups for him but he couldn't quit completely so the trusty pipe came out and he has been smoking that ever since. He looks like Popeye on the back of the boat with his sailors hat and his pipe, no spinach though and I am definitely no Olive Oyle. Any way I digress. Thursday evening he had run out of tobacco and made the decision that this was the time to give up completely, Friday morning and the mood was decidedly bad snapping at me and kicking the dogs (only joking he didn't kick the dogs) so on the bus we went.

Now I thought as we were going to be in Asda for the dreaded weed we would look for some clothes for Paul (he will have to go into surgery soon to get him out of his favourite cardi). We queued up for the tobacco and we queued, after 10 minutes and loud mumblings he said lets go to another shop “just a mo” says I, “we will look for some t shirts and jumpers”. Well when we got to the men's bit there was I pulling stuff off of the rails and him very disinterested, so I am afraid I said “sod it” and left the store with Paul trailing behind, shoulders hunched like a naughty kid. We then walked all round Rugby trying to find a shop that sold pipe tobacco and where did we end up bloody Asda. We then had to sit for 15 minutes while he had puff on his pipe and thank goodness his mood improved no end.

Quick nip into Wilkinson's to get screws then on the bus. Thursday when we came back from town we got accosted by an elderly man who just kept talking and talking to us, everyone was giving us sympathetic looks so he is obviously well known. He was quite harmless but very loud. When we got to the bus stop we were dreading that he would be there but big sigh he wasn't, no, he got on at the next bus stop and sat next to us again. Paul couldn't face the whole trip being interrogated so we got off the bus at the Paddox which is quite a way from where we normally get off. By this time I was desperate for the loo and did mention the fact but where did we end up but Aldi looking for a bargain coming away with a rubber mat for the cratch. My bladder by now was fit to burst so what was the next bright idea he came up with, “lets walk the long way back along the tow path to see who is there” oh for goodness sake any other time for Paul to walk more than a 100 yards is an achievement.

We get on the tow path and I says “if you see anyone we know and you stop for a chat just give me the key  and I am off”. First boat we saw was Moonshadow then Relaine people we normally meet up with in this area lucky for me there was no one around to talk to. Back on the boat at last and a hasty run to the bathroom. 

Was this the end to our eventful day was it heck:

1. As we were eating lunch there was a massive crash a a boat hit us, they were heading towards Rugby. Now why when they have the whole width of the canal do people have to be 2inches away from us. “Sorry the wind got us” was the comment. Paul was off the boat like a shot good job he had been smoking the pipe he was relatively calm but still had a few words to say, not only did the bloke hit us but the boat behind us as well. Get the paint pot out Paul.

2. Paul wanted to watch the F1 qualifying, so I set his alarm for 6am this morning but somewhere in the middle of the night my phone went off, being in the land of nod everything  was a bit hazy and I fell back asleep, then the thing went off again so there I was stumbling around in the dark and by the time I got to it it had stopped. When I checked I didn't even know the number but of course you start thinking the worst, could it be a family member who is ill so I rang the number back and they didn't have the grace to answer. Just fell asleep and Pauls alarm went off.

I just hope the rest off the day is going to be quiet because it will be me that is the grumpy one, no puffing on a pipe to calm me down. The fire has been lit since 6.30am weather forecast isn’t too promising for the rest of the month and it looks like the snow will be coming early, OH JOY…….

No comments: