FOR SALE

PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.

Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Silly Billies

Yet again a grey day but no wind thank heaven so it doesn't feel so cold. We left around 9.45 and had a sedate cruise through Grove lock and Church lock. Just as we were leaving Slapton Lock Heather and Paul pulled up to come up the lock. Paul pulled onto the water point and I started to empty the lock for them. We filled up while Heather cycled onto the next lock to set it for us. We were then able to share the next two locks with them once lock 32 had filled and we had opened the gates Heather sent me on ahead to set the next lock (just a short walk) when I got there there were a lot of BW men around so all innocent like I asked one of them if they wanted us to wait in the pound "don't come through the lock"he says "too late says I". "Well you will have a bit of a wait this lock is part of the stoppage programme and we wont be finished till the 7th"OH DEAR. I have a stoppages list and I had been very organised had written in pencil the stoppages for the GU on the relevant pages of my Nicholsons and there it was clearly for all to see so how come I had missed it. Stupid springs to mind along with a few other choice words. At least we aren't on our own and we have water and food it's good for the dogs and the icing on the cake no train line, no road and no shops, down side NO PUB.
Well we wanted a quiet mooring and we couldn't get any quieter than this. Heather and Paul had hoped to go down the Aylesbury arm before heading for Paddington (they have a trip to Paris booked ) it looks as if they may have to knock that idea on the head.
Lock 37 is shut as well during this week so hopefully all the works will be completed on time and we will be able to carry on our way on the 8th at the latest. By this time the food situation will be getting a bit on the desperate side thank heavens for UHT milk, tins of soup and my small freezer. Luckily we have plenty of dog food don't think they would take to kindly to being on short rations.
So I suppose the moral of this story is make sure I read the stoppages for the route we are taking at least a day in advance to make sure it is safe to set off. I'm sure we aren't the only ones who have made this mistake I'm just grateful this stoppage is for a week and not a month!!! We would be reversing back to where we came from otherwise.

No comments: