We arrived here at Uxbridge on Thursday did a total of 1.3 hours and one lock to get here. We needed to stop as Jess had a lot of mail to send up, one piece was rather important Paul's application for a bus pass.
As we were approaching Uxbridge a guy walking his dog passed comment on the boat name and the fact that we come from Lower Halsow in Kent. It transpired that he came from Gillingham which is near Halstow we told him we were going to moor up below the lock and he said that it was better to stay where we were as below the lock is only 24 hours. So we pulled over and moored up in front of his boat called Sense of Freedom. He then told us how to get to the town and where the nearest pub was.
After we had sorted the dogs out we wandered to the town centre to get the address of the post office. Uxbridge town centre has a lot of shops and 2 shopping malls so Paul informed me that he was going to chain me to the boat so I couldnt go off and spend any money. But of course we just had to have a look round and that is when Paul found a game shop that sold Playstation controllers secondhand and he actually bought one for the princely sum of £10. He explained to the guy in the shop what had happened to the last two and was informed that they dont make these controllers any more so if this one gets broken he will only be able to get another one from another shop that does seconhand controllers. I cant believe he will be able to play without loosing his temper we will see. But when he gets uptight with the game I keep hearing him saythrough gritted teeth "don't break the controller" so far so good. In the evening we decided to pop to the pub The Swan and Bottle for a swift half and to see what the menu was like. We met up with our neighbours Terry and Maggie so Paul and Terry spent about two hours comparing notes about Gillingham seems they both knew the same people and went to the same places in their misspent youth. Maggie and I were totally bored with their conversation so chatted about normal things like us girls do.
Friday I escaped the chains and went to the town to get a hair cut and have a leisurely look around. Oh joy I now only have a couple of more presents to get. Might pop out again Sunday!!! In the evening we decided to go to the pub for a meal on the reccomendation of Terry and Maggie as the pub is a Chef and Brewer the menu is quite varied but Friday's and Saturday's they do a special of 2 courses for £10 and us being tight wads went for this option. I settled for fish and chips with crumble to follow and Paul decided on a burger with treacle sponge to follow. The waitress asked Paul if he wanted cheese on his burger to which he replied no he doesnt like cooked cheese. Needless to say when the burger turned up it had cheese on it so Paul mentioned it to the waitress and give her her due she did say she would get him another burger but he said no that was okay. On consulting the menu the extra cheese was going to cost £1.75 which of course Paul declined to have and Paul said I bet you they charge us for it. You can imagine his reaction when the bill came with an extra 70p for the cheese. Total with drinks was £25.64 Paul only had £40 so off he went to pay and he was ages (I by this time had put on my coat and was waiting by the door). It appeared that the guy on the till was querying with the waitress why the cheese was 70p and not £1.75 in theory she should have said that shouldnt be charged for but she didn't. Normally Paul would leave a one or two pound tip but on this occasion all they got was a slice of cheese. All the way back to the boat he dripped about having to pay 70p for cheese that he didnt want. I think in future the only place I will take him to eat is a greasy spoon as he doesnt find fault with them. Is it any wonder his first wife left him !!!!!!!!
Today we got the post as the Post Office is in WH Smiths you can imagine what the queue was like but it was there so now I have an application form to fill out for a bus pass. And I had a letter to say I have qualified for a winter fuel allowance yipeeeeeeeeeee we can get some more coal now. Or may be a few bottles of booze that is classed as winter fuel isnt it????????
FOR SALE
PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.
Saturday, 22 November 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment