Yesterday was another scorcher, just right for getting the painting done and the side of the boat polished. So we we started early while the sun wasn't on the tow path. I started by washing the boat down and Paul was busy getting the foredeck ready for the top coat of red paint. By this time I was leathering down the boat and Paul was backwards and forwards so I wasn't paying much attention when all of a sudden I heard " Oh NO" and a big string of expletives too strong to even repeat. There had also been a bit of a crash so I had visions of a tin of paint all over the cratch floor, but no what had happened was this: on stepping onto the boat (after painting the foredeck red) Paul in his slippers slipped on the locker seat and spilt white spirit all over the newly painted foredeck along with his clothes and he even ingested some. He then proceeded to throw his slippers in the canal, spitting dummy out springs to mind. The paint was ruined as you can imagine and to say he was thoroughly pee'd off is an understatement. He was able to clean up the red paint and luckily it wasn't all bad but according to Paul that was it for the day (it wasn't even 10am ) I was still polishing thought it best to keep a low profile. He had a big lump on his leg and a cut elbow so not a good start to the day.
I got some fluids down him to neutralise the white spirit (probably only a couple of drops) and he spent the next few hours watching motorcycling and moping. I was still polishing in the sun as by now the sun had come up over the trees. I also got to clean the windows so everything is crystal clear now. As the day went on the paint dried out sufficiently for Paul to rub it all down again. At around 8pm he finally put his coat of red paint on again. I had spent the rest of the day on the tow path in my shorts reading. I was very good put on sun screen and wore a hat also kept up my fluid intake!!!!!!
Today the painting is going great guns we are staying here until it is finished. Lets hope the food doesn't run out. The rest of the brass cleats and steps are now shiny. The previous owners put that coating on all the brass work and it had taken me an age to get it off and restore it all to its former glory. Will I regret this move, probably, but I still have a bottle of the coating in the cupboard so I can always re-apply it. Have kept out of the sun so far today may venture onto the tow path later.
We have been having a few problems with the water pump "hunting" so in between the painting jobs we had the mattress off of Paul's bed to check the calorifier for leaks, we had already looked at all the other fittings on taps and washing machine with no joy so calorifier was the next logical step and still no luck so we are at a loss to know why we have this problem. Any ideas?
FOR SALE
PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.
Monday, 1 June 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment