FOR SALE

PISTON BROKE IS NOW SOLD.

Thursday, 11 June 2009

We are on Heartbreak Hill.

We left last nights mooring around 10 and had a very pleasant journey through some nice country side. First stop was the sanitary station at Wheelock, I had noticed in my Pearsons that it said there was a large pet superstore there. Lo and behold it was right on the canal so I trotted over there to see if they had a muzzle. Well I couldnt beleive the size of the place it was huge and at last, they had the muzzle that we wanted but of course I couldnt remember the size I needed so back to the boat told Paul and he took Crystal to the shop to make sure she had the correct size, it is now hanging in the cupboard so it doesnt go over the side again. Once we left Wheelock it was into the first of the locks that make up Heartbreak Hill, as you can see they are deep and we had been warned that the water entered the locks quite fast so I got into the routine of just opening one paddle till the lock was half full then I opened the other, this worked well and Paul didnt get bashed about too much. According to the book these locks are in pairs but the first few we came across only one lock was operational then we came across this lock so it would appear that BW are replacing gates and generally sorting things out


I believe that the 26 locks that make up Heartbreak hill rise or fall 250ft depending which way you are going.
There's Paul in the distance waiting for me to open the lock gates.
At least it was fine today no rain but the higher up the locks we went the more windy it became so after completing 12 of the 26 locks we decided to call it a day and after coming out of lock number 55 we found this nice spot, there are a couple of boats here and a coal boat round the corner. Who knows we may even stay here until Monday. I must say I feel shattered, I have done a lot of walking today.

1 comment:

Angela said...

connectWe too discovered that fantastic pet shop - this time last year! Glad to see that, today, there have been no physical injuries!!!